Looking for a job this summer? Why not create your own with help from the Summer Company program?
Through the Summer Company program, students can get start-up money to kick-off a new summer business, along with advice and mentorship from local business leaders to help get the business up and running.
Eligible participants receive up to $1500 in start-up funds and business coaching from the Small Business Centre Advisors throughout the summer. Students who complete the program and meet all the requirements receive an additional $1500 when they return to school.
A limited number of spaces are available each year and the application process is competitive. Interested students are encouraged to visit the Summer Company website for additional information.
Dates and hours
- Applications submitted by March 25th will be reviewed the week of March 28th with approvals announced April 4th
- Applications submitted by April 22 will be reviewed the week of April 25th with approvals announced May 2nd
- Applications submitted by May 13th will be reviewed the week of May 16th with approvals announced May 24th
- If seats remain, there may be a final application submission date on May 31st
Start date: June 1st or completion of school
Mandatory training and mentoring round tables for the duration of the program
Dates - TBA.
End date: Labour Day (but you can choose to keep running your summer business while in school)
You must be prepared to commit:
- an average of 35 hours per week
- a minimum of 12 weeks in a row for post-secondary students (total 420 hours)
- a minimum of 8 weeks in a row for high school students (total 280 hours)
What kind of business
You can choose to start almost any type of business, as long as it:
- is a sole proprietorship or corporation (where you are the majority shareholder)
- is an independent business venture (not a part of an existing or family business)
- qualifies as “self-employed” for income tax purposes
- operates in Ontario on a full-time basis
- follows government rules for operating a business
- preference will be given to businesses that are COVID-19 appropriate
Get help with your plan
Webinars will be offered every 2 weeks explaining Summer Company requirements and how to complete the application and business plan. You are strongly encouraged to attend one of these sessions to increase your likelihood of a successful application.
For detailed instructions on how to apply to the Summer Company program, check out the link here.
Centre in partnership with the Ministry of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade.
If you have questions, please contact the Program Coordinator David Proudfoot at email@example.com.